Monday 30 October 2023

What a smell

I am quite particular about odors in general, and I tend to form judgments based on how people smell. I'm not claiming to be the neatest person, but a strong unpleasant odor really puts me off. Yesterday, one of my colleagues had a particularly strange and unpleasant smell. It's hard to describe, but it wasn't your typical bad odor; it was something distinctly foul. I've encountered a similar smell once with one of my housemates and even a random person at the grocery store. It had a kind of wet, rotting fish-like quality to it.

I've been pondering why some people have a bad smell. Are they aware of it? Do their close friends and family notice it as well? Are they somehow immune to their own scent, or do they just not care? Living in a different place with people of various nationalities has made me more sensitive to different perspectives. I have to be careful with my words, as being too straightforward could hurt someone's feelings. As much as I'd like to be honest or at least drop a hint, it can be quite hurtful.

What's amusing is that the same person with the unpleasant smell is the one who often points out things about me, like if I have a new pimple or a cold. He teases me, suggesting absurd reasons for my pimple, like I got it from making out to different people as if pimples were contagious. He enjoys making these playful jabs, and I know he doesn't mean any harm, but it makes me wonder, what if I did the same thing to him?

It's fascinating how people can be so perceptive about others while being seemingly unaware of themselves. It's strange how some individuals can be incredibly straightforward, something I find challenging to do myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts

My boss returned from his business trip, and I can't help but feel a bit gloomy whenever he's around. It's like a dark cloud fol...